If you have a fear of the dentist, you may not remember when you had your last dental cleaning and exam.
And that’s OK. There is nothing wrong with you. At the same time, our team at McNulty & Dancausse General Dentistry wants to help you get the oral care you need.
Today, we will be discussing ways you can feel more comfortable getting a checkup or other care at our Charlotte, NC office. Call 704-766-8662 to learn more.
Understanding Your Anxiety
In our previous post, we discussed what you can expect during your initial visit to our office. We have seen how valuable building relationships. Really getting to know our patients makes a difference both in their willingness to get the dental care they need and deserve. That, in turn, can lead to big improvements in their oral health.
For anyone with dental anxiety, it’s important for you and for us to understand the reasons you may feel uncomfortable about dental care.
We can’t list every possible reason someone may feel anxious, but we are aware of some common concerns:
- You worry that the dentist will be critical of your oral health.
- You worry that you may gag during your treatment.
- You worry that your treatment could be painful.
- You worry that you may have a bad experience (again).
First and foremost, these are reasonable concerns. Many patients have come to us who have avoided dental care for years and even decades. Often, this is because they recall how dental care used to be handled.
Unfortunately, yes, some doctors were overly critical. Some treatments were painful. Either or both of those things could lead to bad experiences. Your concerns understandable. At the same time, you should know that we can help if we are aware of those concerns.
Ways to Ease Your Anxiety
We’ve helped many people learn to manage and even overcome their dental anxiety. With that in mind, here are some tips for you:
- Be Patient With Yourself — This is important to keep in mind. It’s unlikely that your anxiety about dental care will disappear after one visit. It can get a little easier each time. We’ve found that as people get to know us and know what to expect, they become more relaxed during their appointment, which is good for everyone.
- Take Advantage of Technology — We use patient-friendly technology that makes routine care easier to handle. As an example, digital X-rays are faster and use a fraction of the radiation of film X-rays.
- Consider a Distraction — For some people, thinking about something other than their dental care. If you would like to listen to music or a favorite podcast, ask about wearing earbuds or earphones while we focus on your oral health.
- Take Something — Sedation dentistry has been around in various forms for more than 150 years. Inhaled sedation (laughing gas) is one of the fastest and most effective ways to stay calm, to block pain, and to prevent gagging.
Remember, our team of caring professionals wants you to have the best experience possible when you visit us. Just let us know how we could help you.
To learn more about our approach to patient care or to request a visit with us, start by filling out our online form or by calling 704-766-8662.